Catch up on our latest news
Care & Fair
Care & Fair offers free education and primary medical care to children in Nepal, India and Pakistan.
“Wherever the social situation has improved and children have had a school they could attend, child labour has disappeared.” – Terre des Hommes
The main objectives of Care & Fair include:
- Abolition of child labour in Nepal, India and Pakistan
- The creation of better living conditions for carpet knotting families
- Socially acceptable production – Care & Fair members only accept goods produced at socially acceptable conditions
- Setting an example, doing its bit in trying to make the world a better place on a localised level
ICE International’s founder, Frits Janssen, was a strong believer in the empowerment of education. This led him to co-initiate Care & Fair in 1994. He remained active as a dedicated board member and major sponsor for 22 years, and was joined by his son Marc Janssen, who proudly carries on the Care & Fair torch.
Care & Fair today:
- 4500 children receive free education in one of 13 Care & Fair schools
- 300 women participate in complimentary women's empowerment programmes across eight education centres
- 70,000 patients are provided with free primary care at five different day care clinics
Marc and Rogier Janssen regularly visit and monitor the Care & Fair projects, often offering extra financial support for the schools and clinics in Nepal and India, and always coming away with the feeling of wanting to do more. Both brothers regard Care & Fair as one of the most rewarding elements of their business.
Marc Janssen: "When I was ten years old, my father took me on my first ‘business’ trip to Nepal. Besides witnessing the fine craftsmanship of carpet knotting for the first time, we visited a school, which gave me an early but pronounced understanding of the importance of education. I am adamant to enable this empowerment for the children in the communities we work with."
Read more about the work of Care & Fair or find out how to support this charity on www.care-fair.org